Subject Databases

EBSCOHost logo NCES logo NCES logo Bar-Ilan University logo

We have 100s of individual subject databases, which come from a wide range of vendors and are searched individually.

Pros:

  • Great for finding targeted information related to a topic, when you already have a good sense of relevant fields/disciplines and appropriate source types, so you know how to choose a database.
  • Includes sources for statistics/datasets, research instruments & measures, as well as academic journal articles.
  • Subjects covered include Education, Jewish Studies, Psychology, Social Work, & etc.
  • 75% of subject databases are included in the YUFind search (see above), but here you can access the other 25% as well.

Cons:

  • Each database is searched individually.

Link:

Glossary

Abstract - one or more paragraphs that summarizes what an article is about.

Full-text - means that the resource provides you direct access to the full-text versions of some or all of its contents.

Grey literature - items that are not exactly articles--they might be reports, conference papers, manuscripts, handbooks, etc.

Index only - means that the database itself doesn't contain the full-text versions, although you can use the "Get Full Text" link to check for full-text versions in other databases.

Journal database - a database that collects together contents from many journals.

Online journal - the contents from only one topic-specific journal.

Reference database - a database containing "reference" articles, such as definitions or encyclopedia entries.

Tests & measures - items such as survey questions or other tools for gathering and analyzing research data.