Bible (Tanakh), Prague 1489
The Prague Bible, an illuminated manuscript on vellum, was copied by the scribe Mattathias ben Jonah, of Laun, and completed in Prague on 28 Av 5249 . The manuscript is in three volumes, Torah, Neviim and Ketuvim (Pentateuch, Prophets and Hagiographa), and includes the biblical text accompanied by Rashi’s commentary. There are eighty four illuminated leaves, four of them with full page decoration. The commentary text is important for its variants from printed editions. The Bible was at one time in the hands of Moses Mendelssohn and it was later owned by Abraham Geiger. It was presented as a gift to Yeshiva University’s Mendel Gottesman Library by Ludwig and Erica Jesselson in 1985.
Photographed by Bar-Hama Blumenthal Digital Photography
Enter the Collection
© Digital Copyright, 2005. Yeshiva University, New York, NY.