chat loading...
Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.

Content Repository

Technology-in-the-Library FAQs

How do I print in the library?

Send your print job (Ctrl-Print, or click on Printer Icon).

If not already selected, select one of the STUDENT printers.

Sign in to either a B&W or color Pharos release station (depending on which you chose for your print job) and release your job. 

How do I connect with YU Wireless?

How do I find my YUAD?

Find your credentials

Why can't I open/print this document on this computer?

There are 2 kinds of PC computers in the library:

  1. "YULIS PCs": You can print pdf files from a webpage (like those that are part of a library database), but can't open/print/save other documents.
  2. Regular Full-Service PCs & Macs: You can open/print most kinds of files/documents.

Click here to for a chart of what kind of computers are where in the libraries.

How do I switch a keyboard from English to Hebrew (and vice-versa)?

Press both the ALT key and the SHIFT key at the same time.

How do I login to access the electronic resources from off-campus?

(This includes E-Reserves, library databases and electronic journal articles, and e-books.) It's easy! Click here for instructions.

If I have a technology-in-the-library question, who do I talk to?

  • For help with computers in the library and printing/copying/scanning, library staff may be able to help.
  • For off-campus access to library resources, email
  • For help with other technology issues, contact Academic Computing.
    • Wilf Campus - Belfer Hall Room 1315 - 800-829-7418
    • Beren Campus - 245 Lexington Ave. Room 323 - 212.340.7772
    • Email: